Generic Zoloft is a brand name for Sertraline. It is the antidepressant of selective serotonin for reuptake inhibitor, in short (SSRI) class. The drug was made by Pfizer and introduced in the market in 1991. Usually, the drug is prescribed to treat major disorders of depression that adult suffers, along with other disorders such as social anxiety, panic attack, and more. Furthermore, in the year of 2013, Zoloft was the 2nd most prescribed drug for psychiatric medication right after alprazolam, and the most prescribed drug as an antidepressant in the American market, since more than 41 mil prescriptions of it were made.
Zoloft has many uses, they can be medical or to help with other issues. And we are going to cover its uses in this article.
The medical uses for Zoloft
Generic Zoloft is used for numerous conditions, such as obsessive-compulsive, major depression, panic disorder, premenstrual dysphoric, body dysmorphic and social anxiety disorder. It was also used as a treatment for premature ejaculation and headaches. Generally, it is used to treat many conditions, among them we find:
- Depression: a review in 2008 found 51% positive outcomes, with a similar efficacy to citalopram, escitalopram, paroxetine and venlafaxine, which makes it more efficient than fluoxetine for treating depression.
- Panic disorder: using Generic Zoloft to treat panic disorder causes a significant reduction of the number of the attacks and improve your life quality. Using the drug not only decreases the frequency of the attacks by 80%.
Unlike placebo with only 45%, but also decreases general anxiety. The patients using the sertraline were rated ”improved” as it improved the quality of their lives.
Other uses for the Zoloft
Not only it has medical uses, but also helping to deal with many conditions:
- Social phobia: Zoloft is a useful therapy for social phobia. Liebowitz Scale of Social Anxiety scores was improved using sertraline in opposition to placebo. A combination of cognitive behavioral treatments and sertraline shown to have a more efficient response rate, especially when applied to children.
- Elderly: Zoloft is used as a therapy for depression by elderly (more than 60 years old). Patients who used it had better results than who used a placebo and other SSRI fluoxetine, nortriptyline (Pamelor), TCAs amitriptyline and imipramine. Moreover, Generic Zoloft had fewer rates of side effects than others, with nausea as an exception due to it occurring while using the drug. Nonetheless, Sertraline proved to be better for people who are older than 70 years than other drugs such as nortriptyline and fluoxetine.
- It has other uses, such as a treatment for premature ejaculation, although it will require continuous use to delay the ejaculation.
About Generic drugs
The Generic drugs are effective and safe alternatives prescription products with a brand name which are more expensive, so it’ll not only save you a lot of money, but it is also effective. For more instructions, consulting the doctor is recommended.